Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Great New Years Eve Run - Race Report


5k Race - Stow Munroe Falls High School
Stow, Ohio

Looking forward to this race. Gets my new year off to fast start. For the past year I've been really into the technical part of sports nutrition. Bought some sports nutrition books and after much research a high end scale that measures body mass. Scale is useful because it's super accurate with weight and pretty consistent measuring stuff like body fat. My brother gave me a Xmas present of Chris Carmichael's Food for Fitness book. Solid read so far. Chris Carmichael has been Lance Armstrong's coach for more than a decade and I can see why.

Last year when I raced this course my weight was 165 and finishing time was 23:54. This year my weight was 150 and finish time 21:53. Stoked I knocked off more than 2 minutes! Think I could dial in a sub 20 minute time next year around. Looking into doing some speed work in the next quarter through run training groups.

Arrived at the race 45 minutes before start. Chit chatted with multisport buddies and running folks I know. 4pm start is cool because I'm warmed up already. Race temp was 37 degrees which is normal for this time of year. Roads were clear of snow and ice with overcast skies. 600 runners ready to go. Felt good at start through first 5 minutes. Forgot about the hills. Lost a little time going up hill. Cruised back down the hills and regained position. Great that on course racers and spectators cheered me on. That really keeps myself motivated during parts of course that are difficult. With a mile to go I felt strong and lots of reserves in the tank. Hauled myself to the finish line of cheering supporters.

After my race I cheered the finishers coming in. That's a lot of fun. Takes about 5 minutes to regain my senses after the race. One of the best features of the race is the chicken soup they handout inside the high school - yummy goodness. Enjoyed food and friendly conversation post race.

3 comments:

tracie said...

Great race Craig! I'm sure 08 will bring a sub 20 on this course for you.

Happy New Year!

B Bop said...

Great to see you on NYE, and congrats on a great year. I look forward to seeing you out on the road & at the races in '08. Happy New Year!!!

triguyjt said...

Craig---props on dropping the lbs and lowering the time on the 5k...
give me some chicken soup!!!!
No soup for you!!!
have a great 08