Monday, May 21, 2007

Cleveland Half Marathon - Race Report



(Above Photo from Left to Right: Cathrine, Charlie, Jack, Rob)

I had a fun experience at race. My results for Cleveland Half Marathon: (01:48:17, 8:15 pace). First time I ever ran over 9 miles. For the past 3 weeks I jumped my training miles from 6 to 9 miles. That helped a lot on Sunday morning. Watching "Batman Begins" movie right before I went to bed on Saturday night put me in right mood for the big race.

Temperature and racing conditions were almost perfect for race: 55-60 degrees, light wind and overcast skies. I thought volunteers handing out water on Half Marathon course were great. Big thanks to those folks!!! Nice to run with speedy CTC members for part of the race, like Charlie and Jack. They kept my running pace at a good clip when I started to fade at mile 9. Last 2 miles and at the finish line I felt strong. Glad they had recovery food and friendly faces at finish.

Cleveland Marathon race courses are scenic. Devils in the details - the way-finding course graphics were not well thought out. For the high cost of race I'd expect better. Race course needs very large visible arrows on every turn. If the herd or pace car goes wrong way everyone does. Example: Sundays 10K distance. International airports are best examples of way-finding graphics, I suggest race directors study these and get inspired.

Cleveland Half Marathon was perfect training for my 2007 "A" race: Greater Cleveland Triathlon - Half Ultra.

4 comments:

Papa Louie said...

Congratulations on your half marathon race! I ran the half last year and had a good time.

JenC said...

Great job Craig! Smoking fast!

Janet Edwards said...

Great job Craig. Way to ramp things up and run a nice half!!

Charlie said...

Great job sunday.Your were running strong out there.
Your GCT training looks to be solid.